India added 12,213 fresh Covid cases in the last 24 hours, witnessing a 38.4% jump from 8, 822 cases recorded yesterday. This is the first time since February 26 that the viral infections have crossed the 10,000-mark in a day.
Here are the top 10 updates on coronavirus in India:
- India’s active COVID-19 caseload currently stands at 58,215, and accounts for 0.13 per cent of the total infections, the Health Ministry said.
- With 7,624 recoveries in the last 24 hours, the total recoveries have reached 4,26,74,712.
- Eleven virus-related deaths were reported in the country – three from Kerala, two from Maharashtra, and one each from Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Gujarat, Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh.
- In Delhi, the positivity rate rose to 7.01 per cent with the national capital reporting 1,375 new cases on Wednesday. This is the second consecutive day that Delhi has recorded over 1,100 cases in a day. No deaths were reported due to the infection.
- Maharashtra recorded 4,024 new coronavirus cases, a 36 per cent rise over the previous day, and two pandemic-related deaths, the state health department said. Wednesday’s case count was the highest since February 12 when the state had recorded 4,359 cases.
- Four new cases of B.A.5 variant of coronavirus were also detected in the state, the official release said. New B.A.5 cases were reported from Mumbai, Thane, Navi Mumbai and Pune, and all four patients were in the age group of 19 to 36 years, the department said.
- Financial capital Mumbai reported 2,293 new COVID-19 cases, the highest daily count since January 23, and one fresh death linked to the infection, the city civic body said.
- COVID-19 vaccination for the age group 12-14 years was started on 16 March 2022. So far, more than 3.53 crore (3,53,38,654) teenagers have been administered the first dose of the COVID vaccine.
- India’s COVID-19 tally had crossed the 20-lakh mark on August 7, 2020, 30 lakh on August 23, 40 lakh on September 5, 50 lakh on September 16, 60 lakh on September 28, 70 lakh on October 11, 80 lakh on October 29, 90 lakh on November 20 and the one-crore mark on December 19, 2020.
- The country crossed the grim milestones of two crore cases on May 4, 2021 and three crore on June 23.